I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Black Skies, Green and Yellow Fields


No surprise here, it rained again today. The black sky in the photo was indicative of the thunderstorm approaching. Listening to the radio reports of a state of emergency in NorthBattleford after this afternoon's torrential rain and hail storm had me a little concerned that we were in for some of the same.
It turned out to be only a brief rain shower. Still enough to send me home from the field. This summerfallow was too wet for good working even before it rained. I figured with a little tillage I could maybe help dry up the surface at
least. With chem fallow there is no weed growth to take up the excess moisture so the fields do not dry much and could still be un-seedable by next spring.
In hindsight I should probably have seeded some kind of crop on all the chem fallow and take whatever grows. With all the violent storms around this summer I'm starting to think my best investment might be additional hail insurance

1 comment:

  1. What a way to make a living Ralph! We went from rain to 90 degrees. The fellow we are growing barley for came to look at our results. He was not so impressed. The wet soil really stunted it and now the fields are full of wild oats. Looks like we will all be farming for the insurance...

    ReplyDelete