I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Stuck In The Muck

I should have taken a picture, but it was dark. Maybe I could have entered it  at stuck in the muck As it was I was more intent on just getting the swather out of the mud holes I had dug with the wheels and back onto (mostly) solid ground.
Just another chapter in this season that has been plagued by too much rain, muddy ground and drowned out crops. Maybe if it had not been dark I might have noticed how muddy it was getting as I worked my way farther up the hill side. Those big fat "turf tires" have excellent floatation but at some point they run out of traction and turn to smooth , tractionless doughnuts.
Lucky for me my "support crew" had just showed up to drive me home for the day. Instead they got to help me move a tractor down from the next quarter and pull the swather out of the mud.
Its only an 80 acre field but could take quite a while to swath if I have more of these incidents. Some of those drowned out patches are 90% foxtail and not worth cutting, but the good patches are fairly decent. Too bad the frost hit early and damaged some of the seed . I think it is going to take a long time to fill the combine hopper this year.

2 comments:

  1. Now Ralph, you know the problem is all that "land drainage" you've been doing! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of experience with being stuck. I've been thinking bout immigration. I have experience with points ignitions and IH trucks. Also things powered by flat belts.
    I am not accustomed to success or high pay... Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete