I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Grandpa Nevard's Saw

While working on one of my projects recently I pulled out one of the antique hand saws that I seem to have accumulated here over the years. I know there are power saws that will do the job better, faster and with less effort but in the spirit of making do with what I have I went with this one.
Although after a  few minutes I found it did not work well at all it was still interesting to read the fine print on the saw.
It has "H.W. Nevard" stamped on the handle so I'm guessing it was one that my grandfather brought from England when he first came to Canada in 1905. Probably one that he acquired while working as Carpenter's Apprentice in Lexden, Essex, U.K.  It shows signs of hard use with a break in the handle.
W. Tyzack and Turner & Sons stamped on the frame as well as the name "Non Pareil" over the little elephant image. No doubt a brand name from long ago.

I was thinking of a fellow blogger, Gorges Smythe when I took the saw photos since he appreciates a good wood working tool and writes an interesting blog you might like to check out some time.

3 comments:

  1. Look around for a similar handle, Ralph, and you can see what sort of piece to insert to repair it. Surely someone in your area can sharpen and set it for you. Handles rarely broke in use. My guess is that someone dropped it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want a challenge, and to fix the way the saw cuts, get into saw sharpening. It's a tool and skill set that you won't regret acquiring. Plus patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorges, if I change the handle it won't have the name stamp anymore and it won't be "Grandpa's saw". Judging by the shape and length of this saw blade I think it is a mitre saw. Not really appropriate for the job I was trying to make it do. It might need sharpening too. I think I have an antique saw sharpening or setting tool here too. I'll try to get a picture of it.

    ReplyDelete