I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Still Alive

Yes, I'm still alive but have not posted anything since July. Blogger can be difficult sometimes but seems to work tonight. Wow, is it winter, and early. Going below zero (F) tonight and enough snow drifts around to make it heavy walking around the yard. I've shovelled the bare minimum needed to get around and open doors. Everything is starving it seems. Cattle eat up the hay in the feeder real fst and complain for more. Two missing cats returned home to make a total of 7. I have doubled the cat food rations along with some baked potatoes. They clean it up nd will come to the house and sit outside the door accusingly as it they are starving. Ground up a load of oats for cattle feed yesterday. Although it ran over into two days as I got an unexpected late start. The tractor ran out of gas just after sundown and I was not about to try and finish in the dark. The cold Northwest wind was none too encouraging plus I had a bit of a headache and sore shoulder after slipping in the grain hopper tank and landing hard. Finished the job up this morning after feeding hay. The old tractor sat out all night on the belt and was none too eager to start necessitating a trip dragging the big batter booster and cords across the yard to finally get started. The starter drive is getting so bad on this old Cockshutt that I might have to resort to crank starting soon. Then spent a lot of time perusing parts books online and then on the phone ordering what I hope will be the necessary parts to get two tractors back on the job. Yes, currently both my snow clearing tractors are out of commision and I'm beginning to need them. It will take about $1400 worth of steel washers to get the big blade tractor (2090)'s clutch working properly again. The little John Deere 2140 that will run the snowblower currently sits in the workshop waiting for me to finish the fuel injector replacement that I began over a week ago. Complications of course. I somehow lost a critically important part (fuel line nut) in the course of removal and have spent hours with a trouble light and down on the floor searching for it. I finally gave up and ordered a new one today. Sure enough, a few hours later I did find the lost part. Now if I can just get the fuel lines threaded onto the new injectors without cross threading and ruining them I might just get it back to gether and running. l Earlier this week I hauled home the last of this summer's hay bales that had been left out in the hundred acre woods. Being cold and miserable weather I opted to use the comfortable and warm 2 wheel drive 41 year old pickup truck. It took some time and effort to load compared to a front end loader but was much more comfortable on the 5 mile drive home. I guess theres more but I'm not writing a book here. Naturally there is some video to go along with everything I do.

7 comments:

  1. I hope you get your snow movers up soon. At least you shouldn't have many mice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shovel still works anyway and yes, not many mice for the cats which I guess is a good thing.

      Delete
  2. I was a long summer for me as well. I at last able to comment on blogs. I have to use Google Chrome and had to change my blogger email. I have broken tractors to repair, a mess of bags and pallets to clean up from making feed and a shop so messy I can't actually get anything in to work on. Plus, it is dark when I get home from my other job. Just saying all this so you don't feel like you are the only one! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see my typing skills have suffered over the summer as well.

      Delete
    2. Good to hear you are still out and about Budd. I don't have another job to take my time so I can't blame my slow work on that. I'm just slow. And sometimes the cold weather is not too encouraging to leave the house. But latest update video will show the John Deere is up and running and almost ready to move snow.

      Delete
  3. Yesterday I was making pig feed. Feed prices around here have skyrocketed. I am selling ground oats, peas, alfalfa hay, plus a little other stuff as a binder, for .30/lb and I have people waiting in line. (actually two people) But, then the neighbor came over to see what i was doing and we started talking about guns and fishing and the de-evolution of modern society and soon it was dark. Today it is raining. I am truly the lazy farmer.

    ReplyDelete