I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Now Is It Winter?

You wouldn't think it to look at the bare ground but temperatures are more winter like than usual for November 1. It rarely gets above freezing by day time and I am thinking I may not do any more field work, even rock picking or gravel hauling.
Cattle and cats are acting really hungry. The cattle can still eat some of the grass they turned up their noses at back in the summer but the cats seem to have exhausted the supply of mice on the farm and are relying on cat chow and baked potatoes twice a day.
I'm still trying to emulate the " Lazy Farmer" and sit and sleep by the fire. But I have no fire and feel a little too lazy if I sit around for long.
So today I worked at clearing up dead wood in the maple hedge. Also tightening the wheel spline on the old Cockshutt 40 tractor. The transmission and final drives of these tractors are legendary in tractor puller fame but they do occasionally need a little maintenance. The photo shows it takes a fair bit of leverage .

1 comment: