I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Friday, December 13, 2013

Airgraph

Nothing too exciting here. I happened to be watching an episode of Wartime Farm recently. An excellent depiction of life on a farm during WWII in England. The term  airgraph came up and it seemed familiar to me. Sure enough, after searching through some of the "museum" I found a couple that were sent from Wimborne, Dorset, England to Saskatchewan to my dad's cousins in 1944. Airgraphs were a means of compacting mail during the war when transportation was difficult at times. The letters were photographed on microfilm which was much smaller and easier to transport and mail. Then re-printed into a letter at some point. Here are a couple of scans of mine.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting; I'd never heard of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither had I Gorges. It just goes to show that even with all the garbage on tv I can still learn something new once in a while.

    ReplyDelete