I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Haying Was Going Well

Until it wasn't . I did get off to a good start raking and doubling up all the swaths. The inch and a quarter of rain the other day did not seem to hurt it too bad and it still has fair colour. Today was an ideal drying day with 80 degree temps and wind blowing.
Finished raking and back home for the baler (and very late dinner). There was some ominous looking clouds but way off to the North which were far away.
Got maybe half the baling done when it got a little too quiet behind me. Figured a shear pin had broke as I was turning but it was way worse than that. For some reason the middle u joint had broken . By some miracle the spinning pto shaft did not self destruct before I shut it down. The broken joint appears well greased and no noticeable wear. 
Those are the worst kind of breakdowns. The ones that happen for no apparent reason. 
Will I find new parts for a 40 some year old baler? Will I get it together and finish baling before the next rain hits? To be continued...

1 comment: