I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Weasel One - Roosters Zero

Looks like I am officially out of the chicken business. These two old bantam roosters were all I had left for the last couple of years and I figured they would die of old age. But the chicken house was eerily quiet this morning when I checked on them. Both lying dead under the roost. Too much of a co-incidence that they would both drop dead the same night. I found weasel tracks in the snow and when I looked back in the house the weasel was there eating one of the carcasses. Amazing how such a tiny little predator can kill a rooster so much bigger. I could set up weasel traps to get him but not much point now as there are no chickens left to protect. Weasels do some good on the farm as they catch mice.

Only wild chicken and grouse left on the farm now.

8 comments:

  1. Cats will kill weasels; I'm surprised he'd come around with your cats in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago I did find a dead weasel in the barn that a cat must have killed. Strange they never got the rats though. I had to use traps to eliminate them.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That would be another point in favour of the weasel. Though I have to admit if I had any more chickens I'd be setting up the weasel traps.

      Delete
  3. Does this mean you have to change your name to Roosty Seven?

    ReplyDelete
  4. More likely I need to start shopping for some new roosters (and hens). Maybe install some guard cats in the chicken house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with the weasel is that once this one has learned about chickens it will keep coming back until you kill it.

      Delete