I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Sunday, September 8, 2019

Raking With 2140

Strange weather continues and crops very slow to ripen. The oats I swathed over a week ago got an inch or more of rain on them and I thought maybe if I turned them over with the rake it would help dry so I could bale. It was tough going at times with the rake wheels plugging up on the wet straw but I managed to get it mostly turned. They needed a good wind and heat to dry down enough to safely bale but I guess it won't happen. I tried a couple of bales this evening but they came out damp and I quit. Figured it was no point baling wet hay and having it spoil so I'll take a chance the swaths will eventually get some drying weather before winter sets in and I can bale them.

The standing wheat? Forget about it. Still way too many green heads in it. More rain forecast for this coming week so its still a waiting game.








4 comments:

  1. You need to start singing that song from Hee-Haw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean the one about "if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all"?

      Delete
  2. I just saw my 60 acres of wheat straw, four truck loads of (baled and stacked) grass straw drenched in a deluge. I suspect I'm done for the year. Not sure what to do with the wet grass straw stacks and the wet wheat straw stack. The wheat straw was for a feed store and so had to be perfect. The rain will ruin two layers deep. I guess it is good I have a town job now... Of course if I wouldn't have a town job I wouldn't have got the straw rained on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes I think farming makes a good hobby as long as you have a real job to support it. Too bad about the excess rain on your straw. Seems like it is feast or famine when it comes to rain some times.

      Delete