I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Cold Start 15 Year Old Battery

Judging by the declining number of hits on the old Mercury videos I may have "jumped the shark " on the Mercury subject. But here is another one anyway. I often brag about some of the long life battery service I get but here is some actual proof. The old flathead cranks over pretty good on a six volt battery that my uncle bought for his Case tractor back in the spring of 2002. 15 years is pretty darn good for any battery, be it automotive or agricultural.

I'm also showing off the new oil lines on the filter plus a new battery cable. Nothing fancy here. Just another in the ongoing series of improvements on the Merc. Just passed the two year mark since it first started and ran under it's own power. Its still no show car or an example of artistic workmanship. If you want to see some real innovative and skillful repairs just take a look at one of my favourite youtubers, coldwarmotors Its a true source of inspiration for anybody that enjoys working on old rusty iron.








8 comments:

  1. I have 2001 F-250 that I bought a few years ago from a widow so the the truck had set for years, had to get a battery last year. On checking the old battery, I figured out that it was the original one from the factory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes those original batteries give real good service.

      Delete
  2. Yes, those original equipment batteries can be pretty long lived too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the battery is needing replaced on my wife's 15b year-old Hyundai. I THINK it's original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back in the 50s and 60s my father used to run a small auto parts store for his brother-in-law. I remember him taking old 6 volt batteries that people turned in when buying a new one, and putting them on a very slow charge for weeks, always careful to keep adding distilled water as needed. He was able to rehabilitate these batteries for use in a hunting camp located where there was no power to be had. They had a generator they called a light plant, with some multi-cylinder engine driving an auto generator that they would use to keep the batteries charged, and lit the camp with 12 volt DC light bulb. Remembering this, I rehabbed the small 12 volt battery for my Honda Foreman which was over 4 years old at the time and was able to get another couple riding seasons of use from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Merc videos are good. In 1966 when I was sixteen I took a job as a clerk in the local small town sporting goods store (mostly guns and fishing). The gunsmith and outboard motor guy had a 49 Merc that I really wanted. We never worked out a deal. Your posts remind me of a good time in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the Mercury stuff Art. Too bad you missed out on that 49, but they are still out there. Takes big money to buy one now though.

      Delete