I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Cold Morning At The Century Shack

I call it the "century shack" but in fact it will be 115 years old this summer. My grandfather, T. Goff and his brother , Alf, cousin Jack all spent their first winter in Canada in this little log shack. No, not the red barn at the beginning of the vido. About 10x12 feet built of vertical poplar logs. It must have been "cool" but maybe if they kept the wood burning stove well fed it would be ok. Jack was reported to have stated that he would be "back in Dorset for next Christmas" although he never did go back. Saskatchewan winter must have been a shock for these Dorset lads who likely didn't see a lot of snow before.
It had warmed up to about -15F when I did this latest Roosty6 video tour this morning. Made me appreciate the modern gas heat even more.

2 comments:

  1. You're a tougher man than I, Ralph. I'd have fed the stock and hobbled back to the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just had more practice at it than you Gorges. It gets easier after years of practice.

      Delete