I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Who Can Stop The Rain


Sept 1 and we should be well into harvest but no such luck. I have
swathed all my canola but the wheat is still a bit on the green side,
and of course wet now as we keep getting rains to re-soak everything.
Field operations are getting more difficult all the time. Sloughs grow
a little bigger and spread farther into the field with every rain. The
ruts I made when stuck in the spring are still full of water.
As the photo shows, I got stuck once swathing canola last week with the
swather which has very little ground clearance. With a little patience
and care I was able to pull the swather out of the mud with the old 730
Case. Reports of stuck combines are coming in. Tractors on standby at
the edges of the field are the rule. I've seen some wheat fields lodged
so bad that they are almost flat to the ground. A good environment for
plant diseases, wonder if the kernels will even fill? It will take patience
and skill to cut those fields.
Late blight has hit most of the tomato gardens around the area although
mine look good (so far). Potatos have pretty well died off, not sure if
its just normal aging or the irish potato famine making a resurgence.
If we ever get rolling its going to be an interesting harvest. Hope I
get a chance to try out the new (to me) John Deere pull type combine.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever seen the rain, coming down on a Sunny day?
    We got just enough rain here to slow things down. We cut alfalfa but the forecast is for temperatures in the low 80's (non metric talk there) and we are having pretty heavy dew so who knows if I will ever get it baled.
    Pulling combines out of the mud has got to be about the worst!

    ReplyDelete