I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Mackerel Sky

"Mackerel sky, mackerel sky, never long wet and never long dry". Thats the old saying that came to mind when I took this photo on last Saturday on what was the nicest day we have had yet this year. Warm and sunny with no wind. But the saying was true, the weather did not stay long dry for in less than 24 hours it was snowing. Then the wind got up from the north drifting the new snow into the trenches that my driveway has become. The poor old Cockshutt 40 is having to work far harder than any sixty year old tractor should pushing that snowblower this winter. Today's snow blowing was the heaviest work yet this winter. Maybe the driveway will stay open longer this time although more snow flurries are predicted in a couple of days.
Incidentally, the recent video I made on the "mackerel sky " day showing the tractor and hammer mill at work has run afoul of the safety police over on New Ag Talk forums as some seem to think my cavalier attitude towards farm safety is a bad influence on younger viewers. Responses ranged from "yes it is very dangerous to its nobody elses g.d. business how he works on his own farm. Obviously I have assessed the risks and decided they are low enough that I won't be changing my work habits any time soon.
Grain is finally starting to move, well sort of. Oats looked good at $3.75 a bushel today so I have committed a couple of semi loads to sell as soon as there is room, or roads are passable. Always fun trying to arrange trucking in the spring and work around the spring breakup.
Wheat is dropping in price. Canola price is good but I am sold out. Flax is also good in the high $14 range and I was ready to sell but found out that I can't until I have my flax tested for gmo triffid genes Its a crock but is one of the hoops we have to jump through to please the anti-gmo crowd. To my knowledge nobody had ever come up with any sound evidence that genetically modified flax seeds are any threat to our health. But as they say, the customer is always right, even when he is wrong. Anyway, the seed testing labs will be happy to take our money for the test.
I have no doubt that in a few years we will have GMO roundup ready flax just like the GMO canola we have grown successfully for years.  Theres big money to be made in those tech fees and monsanto needs it.
Mackerel Sky

3 comments:

  1. We had the same sort of safety "problems" around our sawmill, yet in 50 years, no-one ever got hurt. Of course, that was back when people had common sense.

    That Mackerel Sky saying was a new one for me. I HAVE heard "mares tails and mackerel scales make tall ships carry low sails."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes common sense is not too common.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Mindless Ramblings" has been included in the A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-sunday-drive_10.html

    ReplyDelete