I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Sunday, April 17, 2016

April 17, 1952

Today, April 17, back in 1952 my dad and Uncle Sandy were harvesting wheat swaths that had laid in the swath all winter. . The wheat was dry and still reasonably good quality considering it laid out under the snow all winter. The field was still muddy in places and required a little help from an extra tractor at times. As seen in the photo, Dad's John Deere D standing by to help. Sandy's LA Case on the combine. No trucking here, they just unloaded the combine hopper straight into the grain bin in the background.

I wondered if I might re-live history and combine the flax I have left in the field from last fall on the same date. Not too likely for a few more days though. The fields are still too soft to stand the weight of heavy equipment. Getting stuck in the mud and breaking things is a way to ruin my day. 

1 comment: