I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

The Irish Sweepstakes

I guess it was a time when lotteries and gambling was illegal in this part of Canada, Saskatchewan. Nowadays they are a big source of revenue for the government but not so in the 1960s. My dad dreamed of winning "the Irish Sweepstakes" and would occasionally refer to something he needed to buy when he won the sweepstakes.
I don't know the procedure it took to acquire these tickets buy my aunt worked in the big city and had access to them. So my dad gambled a little in hopes of winning a lot. I thought of that recently while sifting through boxes of old papers (the kind of stuff most people throw away) and I found these sweepstakes ticket stubs that my dad had saved. Cost was one pound sterling each which I think was about $3 at the time. And that was quite a bit of money in the 1960s on a small farm.
I wonder if our lives would have changed  a little, or a lot, if dad had got lucky on the sweepstakes?
Most likely a new(er) car and a good line of farm equipment instead of the old "mechanics specials" he could afford to buy at the time.
Update: after a little research it appears the Irish Sweepstakes was a bit of a scam. Less than ten percent of the ticket sales went to hospitals. The majority seems to have gone to make rich people richer. Irish Sweepstakes

4 comments:

  1. I buy a ticket once in a blue moon, with the same luck your father had. The old tickets make nice keepsakes by this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing a little research on them it looks like it was mostly a scam to make rich people richer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! You Give A Brief Details About The Sweepstakes And Other Online Contests.
    Your Post Always Better Or Helpful. For More Online sweepstakes click here:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the marvelous posting, you can find more Details about List of latest sweepstakes 2019. Click here www.sweepstakesnew.com

    ReplyDelete