I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Polar Vortex


The term "polar vortex" is back in our weather reports lately.
Anybody that has watched much on youtube videos will know the popularity of "cold start" videos. Often comprised of some smart guy going out in the extreme cold to try and start an engine that has not been pre-heated. Not a thought given to the permanent damage being done to the engine. I won't be doing that to any of mine unless it is a matter of life and death.
Today was not that serious but I had not had my mail for over a week and needed a few groceries. Long weekend starting so today was the last chance til next Tuesday. After a failed attempt yesterday on the "new" truck (97 Blazer) I figured it would go today after being plugged in to both coolant heater and battery charger on the new battery all night. But no. Seems to be something else going on  as it would turn over ok but not start. I still had time to plug in the old 81 for a few hours and give it a try. Not too surprising that it started as it has a 30 year history of dependable starting and performance for me. After a night of -37 everything was stiff and cold. I warmed up the vinyl winter front in the house so it would be flexible enough to install. Even so, the cold air stiffened it to the point I could not get all the snap fasteners locked on. Good enough to work though and it made the old engine run warm as summer. Daytime high of -22F here so its been the coldest day yet. Its been a week of below normal temps after 3 weeks of above normal. Always keeping it interesting.


2 comments:

  1. I complain when it gets below 20! Glad I don't live up your way; I'm too old for that (even if we ARE near the same age). - lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. -33F is nice. I used to steal my neighbor's metal garbage can cover, start a few handfuls of charcoal on it, add fire and slide it under the '66 VW. Alternately you can park on top of a pile of fermenting manure...so I've read.

    ReplyDelete